Monday, October 25, 2010

Being Locked Out

Well, I’ve had an interesting weekend. On Saturday morning I managed to lock myself out of my room. I then had a choice, pay £25 to get the landlord to come out and unlock my room or save £25 and just go without stuff for 48 hours. I obviously chose the latter.

The only clothes I had were chav-y looking trackies, a frisbee top, rugby socks, a hoodie, one pair of underwear and some hiking boots. So it go some interesting comments from people, but oh well. I also, luckily, had my phone and iPod, so could still contact people and check emails/Facebook. Technically I had my laptop, but the power cable was in my room, so that wasn’t much use.

I tried picking the lock with a paperclip and screwdriver, but it turns out it’s a lot harder than Hollywood and YouTube make it look, so I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be without my stuff. Luckily we effectively have a spare room in our house, so I had a bed.

As the day progressed, I started to get a headache, so I went for a walk along the whole seafront in Aber, one of my favourite things to do when I’m in a bad mood and certain people aren’t around to cheer me up. It was productive as it gave me inspiration for a poem/meditation/prayer (still yet to actually be written). As I headed back towards my house I thought, ‘I’ve had a rubbish day, and not a brilliant week, I’ll get a Hollywood Pizza to cheer myself up… oh no, my wallet is in my room!’ So instead I had pasta and cheese, not quite the same.

Sunday was better. Though I felt totally underdressed for church, the morning service was very interesting. Then I got the offer of a free Sunday Lunch with a couple from church and two other Methsoccers. The food was lovely, as was the conversation. Then music went… and OpenSpace started, which I always enjoy. As is tradition, OpenSpace was followed by a trip to the pub, and a very lovely friend bought me nachos, which made me happy.

I returned home to find a housemate and a fencer playing Rock Band, and I couldn’t help but join in. Then bed called, and I knew I would soon be back in my own room.

And now I am! I went to the letting agency and got the spare keys, and my one my big comfy bed, surrounded by all my technology on charge. But this weekend has made me realise I can live without a lot of stuff, and I actually enjoyed the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment