Friday, September 24, 2010

The five best things about Aberyswyth

It’s the beginning of the new year, freshers have started arriving and I’m finding it very scary that I am entering what is (probably) my last year in the fine town of Aberystwyth. So I thought I would do a post on my five favourite things about this fair town, (the idea actually came from a friend.)
(Imaging the Top of The Pops music aka Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" while reading this.)

5. Hollywood Pizza

The pizza shop on Pier Street. Only a minute walk from my house, it makes possibly the best pizzas I know. And anyone who has lived with me will know that I like my pizza! I find it strange that it has a picture of the New York and San Francisco landmarks on the walls. I am still plucking up the courage to order a delivery to home…

4. The view from the top of Consti
Ok it’s a little bit of a trek to get to the top (unless you wimp out and take the train). But the view is amazing! It makes you realise how small Aber really is. Any time, day or night, sun or rain, Aber is a beautiful town and one I will miss. Also the top has a place to buy ice creams (very important for a certain person), and a Frisbee golf course. I am yet to try walking/running from the top of Consti to the top of Pen Dinas in 45mins (a challenge set by the same person who gave me the idea for this).

3. The fact you are never more than 10mins walk from all the important places
It’s true! (Ok, from home to Uni is about 15, but come on I said ‘important’…). It means that you can never use the excuse ‘oh, I don’t think I can get there’ but it also means that if you get to where you want to be, and realise you have forgotten something it isn’t too much of a trek to go and get it.

2. Walking along the sea
A great thing to do if you need time to yourself. I love putting some relaxing tunes on my iPod, walking to the far end of North Beach, kicking the bar (no-one knows why you do it, but everyone knows that you have too) then walking all the way along to the far end of South Beach along to Prom. Then head back home via a wander through the Castle Ruins. A good 45min round trip, but so beautiful and really good way to organise your thoughts or clear your head.

And at number one…

The people
The thing I will miss most when I leave. From my close friends to the people at my church, course mates to those individuals that everyone in Aber has seen. I will miss living in a place with only two degrees of separation at the most, compared by the traditional six. And it is mainly because of these people that Aber will always feel like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment