Saturday, March 9, 2013

Thank you Methodism for making me me.

I'm currently at a consultation weekend in Shrewsbury, looking at a draft document concerning the British and Irish Churches' response to the injustice in Palestine. I'm with the top people in some big charities, top theologians and scholars... And then there is me. I feel a little overwhelmed at times, not really sure what I can bring. However, I am speaking, raising issues and responding to others. I actually feel comfortable doing so. And for this I have to thank the Methodist Church.

I have been so privileged in the opportunities I have had thanks to the church. I have been to Israel and traveled all around Britain. I have made wonderful friends, even found a girlfriend! But this weekend, I am so thankful for the confidence I have gained through my involvement in Methodism. The formal debates in front of hundreds at Conference, the facilitator training at 3Generate, all the training I've had as an OPP and the various meetings at all levels have made me feel confident enough to sit in the discussions here as an equal.

So this is just a quick note to say thank you to all those who have given me these opportunities, ministers, youth workers, the Children and Youth Team, friends and people I look up too. And a massive thank you to the Church for investing a lot of time and money in young people. All who have played a part in making me who I am, I will be forever thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment